Wednesday, October 10, 2007

“I'm so spoiled - I must have a Starbucks vanilla latte every day.” – Katie Holmes

Starbucks is underrated.

I don’t necessarily mean that from the perspective of the population as a whole. After all, with over 13,000 stores worldwide, Starbucks is the largest and most financially successful chain of coffeehouses in the world. It’s difficult to argue that a company with such a huge customer base is underrated. But I’m talking to all you Starbucks haters out there. The ones who think that Starbucks is destroying our society, and those of other countries, one downtown city corner or suburban drive-through at a time. I’m kind of ashamed to admit, but I have probably spent an average of at least 15 hours a week in various coffeehouses for the last 6 years. Most of that time was not spent in a Starbucks. There are other places I prefer. Probably only between 5 and 10 percent of that time was spent in one Starbucks or another. But that means that I’ve spent somewhere between 234 and 468 hours of the last 6 years of my life in Starbucks. Over that time, despite my slight preference for some other coffeehouses, I have come to appreciate what Starbucks does have to offer.

Here’s the run-down.

Good points:

The aforementioned market test. Let’s face it. Starbucks has done pretty well.

Cleanliness. Definitely not a given among the many places that I’ve frequented in my life.

Decent coffee. Not amazing, but pretty good. Of course, as one poster mentioned in regards to my last blog, I may lack the ability to tell what is truly good coffee. Since I apparently lack the sophisticated tastes to determine what makes good bread, my palate certainly won’t be able to discern the subtle flavors of a good coffee roast. But despite one publicized blind taste test in which Starbucks coffee was beat out by McDonalds, there are as many taste tests where Starbucks is found to beat all the competition as there are to the contrary.

Labor practices – Starbucks gives their employees (full and part-time) an impressive benefits package (health, dental, and vision insurance, stock options, 401k with matching). It is the 16th best company to work for in the U.S., according to Fortune magazine. In his recent book, “How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else”, Michael Gill, who took a job as a Starbucks barista after being laid off from a lucrative advertising position (and also being diagnosed with a brain tumor and his wife leaving him), says, “I am happier than I have ever been.” He emphasizes the level of respect that Starbucks employees have for each other and their customers.

Local feel - Despite being an international chain, each Starbucks really does have a regular clientele. At least in Memphis, you are just as likely to see the same people over and over at a given Starbucks as you are at any other coffee shop. The employees call the customers by name and vice versa.

Don’t get me wrong. There are some things I dislike about Starbucks. The lack of free internet is one thing. How they call their sizes Tall, Grande, and – I can’t remember what the other size is called – really pisses the hell out of me. Actually, intentionally saying “small” does bring me some enjoyment, because undoubtedly they will repeat what I said, but switch the order of the words around and replace “small” with a slightly emphasized “tall”. The more they frown on my apparent lack of Starbucks ordering skills, the more it makes me smile.

The hours. If there is one way in which a local shop could differentiate itself and gain some business and converts, it would be to stay open late. What’s the deal? I know we’re not a college town, but for the love of God, can’t we support ONE late-night (or all night) coffee shop. (Don’t even try to bring up CK’s.)

The prices. They have always been a bit high, and recently they were raised even more. But the degree to which their prices exceed those of their competitors is overblown. People always say things like, “Why would you get a $4 cup of coffee at starbucks when you can go somewhere else and get one for a dollar?” Well, that’s just not true. Maybe the largest size of some specialty espresso drink is $4, but a regular cup of coffee is much cheaper. You have to compare apples to apples (or iced tall skinny vanilla lattes to iced tall skinny vanilla lattes). In fact, Starbucks prices may actually be lower than many of their competitors (http://starbucksgossip.typepad.com/_/2004/08/starbucks_price.html).

Their ability (and occasional practice of) buying out local competition doesn’t concern me so much. (After all, that is voluntary, and just means that they are better able to satisfy customer’s desires than the local store could). But their growing market power does make the economist in me squirm a little. At this point, however, they are by no means a monopoly. The cost of entry into the coffee shop market is relatively low. There will always be alternatives available.

The music isn’t always so great, but that varies greatly from store to store (and I know of at least one independent coffee shop that I think of burning down every time I hear them play that awful song by Fergie, or Rockstar by Nickelback, or Take It On the Run by REO Speedwagon….. okay I’ll admit I like that last one, but most of what they play is atrocious.

I do like Starbucks’ recent practice of giving away a new free song everyday on i-tunes. Oh, wait, I forgot. The large corporation is exploiting their substantial market power to shove certain artists down our throat, at the expense of other perfectly able artists out there. Well, in my opinion, free music is free music. As long as there aren’t subliminal messages hidden in the music, like “Drink more coffee!!!” I’m fine with it. Besides, I have to believe that Starbucks has done significant market research in determining what type of music their customers actually enjoy.

It may be argued that the problem with Starbucks (and large chains in general) is their lack of heterogeneity. Indeed, the incredible success that McDonald’s has enjoyed is derived from the fact that one can go into any McDonald’s in the country (and for the most part, the world) and get a cheeseburger and fries prepared exactly the same way as in any other McDonald’s. People value knowing what to expect. The same is true for Starbucks. Of course, if you’re a local and don’t eventually try the local coffee shops available to you, you’re an idiot. Despite Starbucks’ quality (as revealed by its incredible success and propagation), there are better options out there. Just no better options that have successfully integrated themselves into such a wide variety of markets and regions.


Next up: Kevin Costner

9 comments:

No One said...

*sigh*

Let me preface this by saying that I am, in many ways, very "plain vanilla" in my tastes. I like pepperoni on my pizza. I like my scotch neat. I wear a lot of single-color clothing. And, finally getting to the point, I like my coffee shops to have good coffee.

I do not enjoy Starbuck's coffee.

It's always tasted "burnt" to me, and, after years of wondering if I was crazy, I found out why. It is. Given the quantity of beans they purchase, the only way they can get a consistent flavor is to burn the everlovin' daylights out of the beans. Not just a good, dark, Italian roast, but burnt. I'd rather drink the coffee at the 7/11, so long as it is reasonably fresh.

If you factor that in with some of the points you mentioned (hours, price, lack of free internet), Starbuck's is, to me, strictly an out-of-town place.

I will, however, suggest that there are two additional factors which weigh in Starbuck's favor: the non-coffee pastries and beverages are quite nice, and the bathrooms tend to be spacious and clean.

But underrated? Man, I just don't see it. Just my humble-ish opinion.

fearlessvk said...

i just realized i am not really in any position to comment here, because i don't drink coffee. ever. i have never consumed a cup of coffee in my entire life. yes, i'm a freak of nature.

i am sympathetic to some aspects of your post (for example, i don't think that starbucks is the best candidate for the Darth Vader Evil Corporation Awards - its labor practices are plainly and obviously superior to many other chains) but i can't help but go after the economist's logic here:

Their ability (and occasional practice of) buying out local competition doesn’t concern me so much. (After all, that is voluntary, and just means that they are better able to satisfy customer’s desires than the local store could).

The political theorist would say: what do you mean by voluntary? And where do the customer's desires come from in the first place?

I don't believe that desires exist independently of markets, and that markets simply compete with each other to best provide for those pre-existing desires. Rather, markets shape, mold, manipulate, and distort desire.

Second, the ultimate fiction that a capitalist economy rests upon is the idea that capitalist contracts and agreements are purely consensual and voluntary, therefore the free market is truly free. A contract is consensual only if consent is defined by the absence of physical coercion. But there are other kinds of coercion, such as the coercion of economic cirucmstances. If I sign a labor contract because i'm desperate for employment and don't want to starve, I'm hesitant to call that voluntary. Obviously this is not a literal analogy for a buyout, but the point stands that the capitalist definition of "voluntary" is rather dubious.

...regarding the actual product, as a hot chocolate drinker rather than a coffee drinker, i can tell you that starbucks hot chocolate is thoroughly average. passable, but nothing special.

and of course, i haven't forgotten my promise to be needlessly belligerent, so.... I HOPE YOU CHOKE ON YOUR OVERPRICED STARBUCKS CRAP COFFEE, BOURGEOIS PIG!!

fearlessvk said...

btw, jake, why isn't sean posting on this blog? it seems to me that he should really be posting here. i imagine he's the sort of guy who could write a 12-page treatise on the subject of toast, citing plato, nietzsche, and buddha along the way. tell him i said so.

A Field Guide to Urban Memphis said...

i love coffee. i drink it every day. much as food is a conduit for condiments, coffee is a conduit for half-n-half.

when fearlessvk and i were in birmingham waiting for our names to be called for brunch at a pancake place, i got a cafe americano at starbucks. the baristas asked where i was from - and proceeded to tell me that "memphis starbucks are cooler than birmingham starbucks because they have their own city mugs."

who knew.

while we were being jealous of birmingham coolness, starbucks was stargazing at our memphis coolness, proclaimed in a specialized coffee mug w/the city name on it.

and this flies as DIVERSITY. ugh.

fearless was all "why didn't you wait to get coffee at the restaurant?" and i was all "because i like cafe americano." which starbucks serves, without discrimination, tasting the same in whatever city (burnt or not). uniformity, one of the perks. would i have been happier if there were an independent coffee chain serving americano? yes. but starbucks was fine.

maybe it's not so much about whether starbucks itself is over or underrated, but whether or not hte clientele is. in my flurry of hilarious online dating, i found that there were archetypal guys who like - love - starbucks. in a city like memphis with such fantastic variety (miss cordelia's coffee, bluff city, sidi bou, otherlands, cafe francisco until recently, high point...you get the picture) WHY STARBUCKS?

perhaps it's a status symbol, like z cavaricci, or nike air jordans, or sassoon jeans... (tongue-in-cheek, of course). it got to the point where if a guy listed starbucks in his top five things he can't live without...big delete. no match.

where you get your coffee (and how you take it) says a lot about a person.

No One said...

It could just be that toast is more my speed (I have a thing for antique toasters, despite my disdain for what they do). Maybe when the topic is "2x2=Shinobuden = overrated", Sean will get involved.

God Bless The Printing Press said...

I was with you on toast, but here our opinions have diverged. Not only is Starbucks coffee intentionally burnt, but they also make sure they use more caffeine then other coffee house. I like coffee, not speed.

GreatGoblin said...

ok
i've had starbucks in all sorts of places... from the forbidden city in beijing to the airports of cities all across the globe... until - finally - about 6 months ago they've put in a starbucks in my BFE 5000 pop. texas town

what's good about it? it's exactly the same. You can be in a place where you are utterly incapable of communicating with anyone around you - but you can still have a grande no whip mocha. In other words... it's like getting your hands on a box of froot loops in northern india... or a cheeseburger at the beijing hardrock...

plenty of times i wished for a starbucks - i needed the WAP for work... or a scone (something that my stomach would consider normal food). I've been in cities without them for extended periods and the first time i grab coffee in the airport it's like knowing you're home.

Now. One can say almost the same thing about mcdonalds...

and, of course, the one thing you wont find in mcdonalds is a slew of pretentious pretending to work sadsacks sitting around paying way too damned much money for coffee trying to look cool. oh sure, you see plenty of interesting people in starbucks if you sit around and watch long enough (hell, the prettiest girl i saw in montreal in 6 months used to hit the starbucks near my flat on crescent at about 9:45 on weekdays... not that i was stalking her or anything... just because she had a hello-kitty keychain and those green eyes that i always get lost in... but i digress)

The coffee is ok. The fact that they have them every block is, well, fine. Something has to take up the retail space... and at least they're not liquor stores (is that a ringing endorsement?). Will i miss them when they're gone? hmmm... only in the airports and really only around xmas when they have the gingerbread lattes (somehow that smell has come to mean it's time for the holidays now...)

it's like being excited over proximity to walmart. yes - it means there's a 24 hour store close-by with everything you probably need readily available... but, well... meh.

thomas said...

I'm relatively indifferent on this one. I have begun to phase out coffee in favor of energy drinks, with the 5-hr Energy shot being my current favorite (underrated). There are other chain shops more worth discussing: Arby's, Del Taco, Chick Fil'A, Argo Tea, for instance.

fearlessvk, one of the best local coffee joints in chicago is The Bourgeois Pig (http://www.bpigcafe.com/), and i believe iowaboy has patronized it.

On a final note, proposed future blog topic: "collaboration".

memphisj said...

I think greatgoblin is on to something, these are all just observations since I like to give my money to local businesses, not chains, as much as possible. But recently I was stuck in big box hell out there at Hack's Cross & Winchester and went into Starbuck's to wait it out. They had the requisite dreadlocked guy behind the counter, hip atmosphere, etc. And its our desire for monoculture that they've hit on, mcdonalds for hipsters. Looking around most of the customers were business types working on laptops, with some exceptions. And I'm sure most of these folks hit the nonconnah at 5pm everyday and drive 80mph to get back to Collierville, or Cordova, etc. And of course I was in there for refuge too, and it had a scarily comforting effect........